When you are strength training, you will get the best results if you give your body the support it needs. It goes beyond a smart training program, regular rest days and adequate sleep to let your muscles regenerate and recover. You also need to give your body proper nutrition if you want your body to respond well to the program.
Some supplements may be helpful when strength training.* These supplements aren’t just for bodybuilders. Anyone can use them. Just be sure to talk to your doctor before starting an intensive strength training program or using a dietary supplement.
Protein Supplements While Strength Training
Protein is a critical nutrient for muscles. Your muscles are made of protein. Strength training workouts can break your muscles down. You need protein to rebuild your muscles back so they are stronger than before.
Protein supplements can have these benefits.
- They’re easy to use, so they don’t interfere with your day or workout.
- They add protein without hassle. For example, many of them are ready to eat and easy to carry, so you don’t have to worry about preparing them or refrigerating them.
- They’re more convenient so you can have them in the window you’re supposed to
Protein supplements can also taste great and give you more variety than the standard fare of chicken breast, cottage cheese, and egg whites. Protein Bars and Protein Shakes are a good start, but there are options ranging from Protein Puffs and Chips to Protein Cookies and Protein Peanut Spread.
Other Strength Training Supplements
Creatine* is one of the best studied and likely safest supplements. It can help you work longer and harder, which can lead to better results. Most regimens have a loading phase and then a maintenance phase for taking creatine.
Most creatinine comes in the form of Creatine Monohydrate. Netrition has it available in Creatine Powders and Creatine Capsules. You can browse to see whether you prefer it in a Mass Gainer product, and whether you prefer a product specifically designed for before your workout.
Antioxidants* may be another supplement to consider. Antioxidants fight cellular damage from compounds from free radicals. When you’re working out extra hard, your body may undergo more oxidative stress. Netrition has Antioxidant Capsules with a variety of antioxidants, as well as more specific products such as Resveratrol, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Coenzyme Q10, and Selenium.
These are some other common supplements.
- Fish oil, which is necessary for healthy joints (among other things). It’s a good idea to remember joint health when you’re working your muscles hard.*
- Multivitamins. Taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement takes the pressure off to get all of your nutrients every day from the foods you eat. It’s like an insurance policy.*
- Caffeine. Ask your doctor first, but caffeine boosts energy and can help improve performance.*
Strength training is tough on your body, and you need to support it to get the best results. Nutritional support includes getting enough protein and nutrients to let your muscles grow and strengthen. Netrition has a wide range of sports supplements that are from trusted brands and are easy to use. Just be sure to check with your healthcare provider before taking any.
*The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. Netrition products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone with a medical condition should seek the advice of a licensed medical practitioner. Individual results may vary.