There’s a lot of buzz around a ketogenic diet. Some people swear by it, saying it leads to successful weight loss and improved measures of health, such as lower blood sugar. But this type of diet isn’t for everyone. How do you know if it’s for you?
Here is some information on a keto diet and what to consider when thinking about whether it’s right for you. There are also tips on how to follow one if you decide to go for it, including using delicious, low-carb products from Netrition to make it easier to follow. Be sure to talk to your healthcare provider before trying any new diet plan.
Ketogenic Diet Basics
A ketogenic diet is a diet that causes your body to go into ketosis. While most people burn carbohydrates for the majority of their fuel needs, people on a keto diet shift their metabolism to burning mostly fat instead of carbs. The idea is to lose body fat that way. The metabolic shift is ketogenic, and you can achieve it by keeping carb consumption low - very low.
In a day, you might have 20 to 50 grams of carbs, or about 5 to 10% of total calories from carbs. That means you eliminate or severely limit high-carb foods, such as the following.
- Grains and grain products, including rice, pasta, and bread
- Starchy vegetables
- Most fruit
- Sugar-sweetened foods and beverages
- Beans and lentils
The diet includes mostly high-fat and high-protein foods, such as these.
- Oil and butter
- Eggs, chicken, beef, and pork
- Nuts and seeds
You can also have non-starchy vegetables.
What Makes a Diet Right for You?
A diet that’s right for you has these characteristics.
- Enough protein. It has enough protein to meet your needs. Protein Shakes, Protein Bars, Protein Snacks, and Protein Entrees at Netrition can boost your intake.
- Right weight loss/maintenance. The diet has the right amount of calories to let you meet your weight loss goals or maintain your goal weight.
- Healthy and filling foods. Most of the foods on the diet are nutritious and made with ingredients you feel good about, and they are filling so you feel satisfied. High-Fiber and High-Protein Keto Foods from Netrition can help you feel more satisfied and get more nutrients.
- Sustainable. You should be able to stick to the diet indefinitely because you enjoy the foods on it, the meals and snacks fit into your lifestyle, and you can continue to enjoy special events such as vacations and social events on your diet. Netrition is able to help by offering products such as portable Keto Snacks for when you travel, and Keto Desserts and Baking Mixes for when you are with friends.
A ketogenic diet can be right for many people.
Hints That a Keto Diet Isn’t for You
Lots of people swear by a keto diet, but some people and some healthcare professionals have concerns. Whether you’ve started a keto diet or you’re thinking about going on one, these are some warning signs that it may not be right for you.
There just isn’t enough long-term research on a keto diet to know if it’s right for everyone. A high-fat diet can be tough on the heart if you eat a lot of saturated fat from butter and animal products. There’s also concern about low bone density and possible kidney and liver problems.
Keto Flu Doesn’t Go Away
Keto flu is common when you start a ketogenic diet. Signs can include headache, nausea, constipation, malaise, and lack of energy. If these don’t go away after a few days, you may want to talk to your healthcare provider about whether the diet is safe for you.
It’s Not Working
The diet may not be right for you if you’re not hitting your goals, such as if you’re not losing the weight you wanted, or you’re not able to get your blood sugar under control. It may be time to try a new plan.
Sometimes, a ketogenic diet just doesn’t fit into your lifestyle. For example, you may be responsible for cooking high-carb meals for your family, and it may not make sense to stay on a ketogenic diet. Or, you may want to exercise intensely, but be unable to on a low-carb diet.
It Feels Like a Diet
A keto lifestyle may not be right for you if you keep thinking of it as a temporary diet and you can’t wait to “finish” it. This is especially likely if you feel restricted or deprived, but Netrition has all kinds of low-carb alternatives that can keep you from feeling deprived. Keto Cereal, Mashed Potatoes, Baking Mixes, and Chocolate are just a few examples.
Other Diet Patterns to Consider
Don’t worry if low-carb diets just aren’t for you. There are plenty of other ways to lose weight and eat healthy. These are some dietary patterns that can help you choose nutritious foods and cut calories so you can improve health and lose weight.
Moderately Low-Carb Diet
A diet with 100 to 200 grams of carbs daily can still help you cut back on carbs and calories so you can lose weight, but it is not as restrictive as a keto diet.
This diet is high in olive oil and it emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. The wealth of nutritious foods can help you feel full and stay healthy.
This is an easy way to help you control portions and have a balanced meal. Just fill up your plate like this.
- Half full of non-starchy vegetables, such as salad greens, eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, or others.
- One-quarter full with a lean protein, such as fish,
- One-quarter full with a high-fiber carb, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole-wheat bread, or whole-wheat pasta.
You can add a bit of healthy fat and some fruit if you like.
There are tons of different diet patterns that can work for different people. Whether you choose vegan (plant-based), low-fat, low-calorie, intermittent fasting, or something else, you and your healthcare provider can put together a meal plan that works for you.
A ketogenic diet can lead to weight loss and health improvements, and there’s a lot of buzz around it. You can look into a keto diet and how it works, and carefully weigh the pros and cons to see if it may be right for you. Whether you are leaning towards a keto diet, a different low-carb diet, or another type of diet entirely, talk to your healthcare provider before you get started so you can be sure to choose the best for you and to get the support you need. Netrition is sure to have products to help you stay on track and love your plan, too!