Here's a delicious and diabetic-friendly apple pie recipe using Duncan Hines No Sugar Added Pie Filling & Topping as the filling:
- 2 9-inch pie crusts (use sugar-free, whole grain, or almond flour crust for a healthier option)
- 2 cans of Duncan Hines No Sugar Added Pie Filling & Topping (Apple flavor)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional: sugar substitute (like stevia or erythritol) to taste
- 1 egg (beaten, for egg wash)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it into a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Duncan Hines No Sugar Added Pie Filling & Topping, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves (if desired), lemon juice, and any sugar substitute you prefer. Mix well.
- Pour the filling mixture into the pie crust, spreading it evenly.
- Roll out the second pie crust and either create a lattice pattern on top or simply place it over the filling and cut slits for ventilation.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten egg to give it a nice golden color when baked.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake it in the preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Note: Before trying any new recipe, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian to ensure it fits your specific dietary needs and preferences.
Enjoy your delicious and diabetic-friendly apple pie!